Skip to main content

How to Describe The Type of Clothes You Like to Wear

"I'm a fan of bright colors, so I tend to go for clothes that will make you do a double-take! Bold patterns and unique styles are my favorites when I'm looking for something to wear."



Clothes are one of the most vital things in your life.

When you think about clothes, what comes to mind?

Are they warm and fuzzy, or are they scratchy wool from grandma's knitting kit?

Do you like wearing a suit with dress shoes or do you prefer jeans and t-shirts for everyday wear? How would you describe a type of clothes you like to wear?

Let's talk about all this and more!


What kind of clothes do you like to wear?


I like wearing clothes that can be layered easily and worn casually, as well as clothing that I feel professional in.

For weekends, I enjoy denim and t-shirts or chambray shirts with a down jacket for chilly nights and days.

At work, I dress in pencil skirts, tailored blouses, suits with jackets paired back and high heels during working hours.

Describe the type of clothes you prefer to wear

I prefer to wear comfortable clothes that look good and are associated with an activity. So that can include clothes worn for sports or exercise, work clothes (shirts, skirts), casual clothing (sweatshirts), formal attire (tuxes) and so on.

Also, I take care of my clothes by hanging them up neatly, so they don't have to take up any space on the ground.

If I had to choose one type of clothes I prefer, it would be casual clothing.

What kind of clothes do you like?

I like jeans, tan boots, and black skinnies worn low on the hips with a black top.

Jeans are great because they're pretty cost-effective, and you can pair them with just about anything. They look good in both formal and casual settings, too!

Plus, they give you that laidback feel. I wear my jeans low on the hips, so they show off my butt without overdoing it. The best part is - they come in so many washes/shades/cuts that you'll never get bored!

I also really love tan boots. They go perfect for when you want to dress up or down, depending on what else you wear.

Describe a type of clothes you like to wear

I prefer to wear t-shirts and jeans because I like the way they feel on my skin.

I wear clothes which are quite warm; it's winter now after all! And warmth and comfort are exactly what I need. That's why I tend to buy clothes made from wool for myself. Woolen clothing, such as woolly socks or thick knee-length socks, or even stretchy leggings, keep me nice and cozy during the cold months.

Another reason I like to wear wool is that it's very durable. Wool has a lot of natural oils which make the fabric water repellent. So I don't have to worry about my clothes getting wet and dirty!

The only downside to wearing these types of clothing is that they are not what most people would consider being fashionable. For this reason, I usually avoid them in public spaces. When I go out, I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt.

I also like to wear a traditional dress when it's summer because they are light, casual, cool, and easy to move around in. I don't care what my clothes look like as long as they feel comfortable!



How often do you go shopping for new clothing?

My parents usually buy me some winter fashion pieces because I don't buy new clothes often. I only buy clothes when I need them.

How do you choose your clothing?

I usually just look for something comfortable and practical, but sometimes I like to get dressed up for special occasions! I guess it's not the most scientific approach!

Do you enjoy shopping for new clothes?

I prefer not to shop for clothes in brick-and-mortar stores because they can be expensive. I'm not keen on shopping for new clothes there. It's too time-consuming and tedious, especially when you need things quickly! I prefer not to spend a lot of time buying clothes. But sometimes the weather changes so much that I need to get some new outfits.

Where do you buy your clothing?

I prefer to buy my clothes online. That way I can choose the best clothes for my needs, and it's cheaper than buying them in physical shops.

How do you choose what shoes to wear with a certain outfit?

That can be tricky because I'm not always sure what will go well together. Sometimes it's better to mix and match! For work, I wear suits, so the color usually influences the shoes I wear, whether they're a pair of flat soles or heels.

Do you prefer wearing shoes or boots?

I like both, but if I have a choice, I usually wear sandals in the summertime. They're more comfortable than other types of footwear. But for winter, I like putting on boots; my feet need boots to stay warm!

Do you like buying new clothes, or would you rather have your old favorites fixed up and wear them again for years to come?

I love some of my old worn clothes, jeans, trousers, and sweaters, and other stuff, so I fix them up. It's cheaper to do that than buy new clothes all the time. And don't forget how comfortable old clothing can be; it's like being wrapped in something familiar, something you have a history with.

Do you have a favorite article of clothing?

I don't really, but I love my fleece sweater or a fleece jumper when it gets chilly outside because it's incredibly comfy and keeps me warm! In the winter, I don't feel dressed completely without it!



Sample Answer

Describe the type of clothes you like to wear.
- Where do you buy clothes?
- How often do buy clothes?
- How do you choose clothes?
And say if you like/dislike buying clothes.

If I had to describe the style or type of clothes that I prefer to wear, it would be – comfortable – that’s more important than anything else for me. Given the opportunity I’m happy to just put on a pair of jeans and a T-shirt or something similar. Obviously, when it’s appropriate or required, then something more formal, but even then it has to be comfortable.

I don’t really have a favorite store or place where I buy my clothes; it depends on where I find something that I like. It can vary a lot. Sometime I see something I like when I’m in a shopping mall and just buy it and other times maybe while I’m in a supermarket, if they have a clothes department, I have a quick look and see if there’s anything that catches my eye. The internet can be good sometimes as well, if you can be sure that it will fit you and you know the brand – it can save you a lot of time, and sometimes money too.

I don’t really buy clothes that often. Maybe every three or four months or so; it depends on what I need. I’m not a great fan of clothes shopping as an activity – I never seem to find anything I like if I set out to look for something specific. I usually end up buying clothes when I’m looking for something else.

Generally, I choose my clothes depending on their function. If it’s just something casual then I generally like plain colors; black, blue, grey or something similar. I don’t really like patterns or checks or things like that, and I can’t be bothered coordinating everything to match, so it’s a lot easier if everything goes together…it’s simpler that way. As I said before, comfort comes before anything else. Fashionable clothes aren’t so important but they should be stylish. I guess you could say I’m quite conservative. I don’t really spend that much time or money on clothes, the price isn’t really a consideration if I see something I like - I usually buy it, irrespective of the price.

So, I tend to approach it like buying food or anything else. If I need it then I buy it because it’s necessary. I know some people are really into shopping for clothes, and can spend hours or even a whole afternoon looking in stores and stuff, but not me. I prefer to spend my time on other things - after all - you wear the clothes for a while and then you buy other ones – they’re not really that important… are they?



How would you answer these IELTS speaking questions about clothes?

  • What do you like to wear?
  • Where do like to shop for clothes?
  • Are clothes important for you?

Write about the type of clothing you like to wear

What type of fabric do you like?

I like to wear clothes made from natural fabrics like cotton and linen. They're comfortable and breathable, which is important in the summertime. I also like wearing skirts and dresses, because they're feminine and stylish.

What colors do you prefer to wear?

I prefer wearing neutrals like gray and brown. That way, I won't have to think about coordinating different pieces of clothing together or matching accessories. I also like to wear dark colors because they're slimming and look good with my skin tone.

What type of clothes do you prefer to wear?

I like wearing basic pieces that I can mix and match with different accessories. I also like to wear clothes that fit well and make me feel comfortable. For example, I usually prefer to wear something casual like jeans and a T-shirt instead of a dress or skirt.

What is your favorite type of clothing to wear?

My favorite type of clothing to wear is dresses and skirts. I feel more feminine and stylish in them, and they're perfect for summer weather. I also like to wear cardigans and blouses with skirts and dresses.



Do you have a favorite outfit? What is it?

Yes, I do. It's a vintage-inspired dress with a soft, flowing skirt and a black bodice. I feel very feminine in it! It adds some pizzazz to my look when I wear it with dark tights and heels.

How would you describe the clothes you like to wear?

I like to wear clothes that are comfortable and stylish. I also like to mix and match different colors and patterns to create my own unique style.

What kind of clothes do you think are appropriate for a job interview?

I think that dark-colored, conservative clothes are generally appropriate for a job interview. However, it really depends on the company culture and the position you are applying for.

What kind of clothes do you think are appropriate for a first date?

I think that anything from casual to dressy could be appropriate for a first date, depending on where you are going and what your interests are. If you want to make a good impression, it is always better to err on the side of being too dressy, rather than too casual.

How would your friends describe the type of clothing that you like to wear?

My friends would describe my clothing style as "quirky." I like to wear fun and unique clothes that stand out, but I also like to be comfortable. I'm not afraid to try new styles or take risks with my clothing choices.

What is the most popular style of clothing in your country?

The most popular style of clothing in my country is probably "casual." Most people dress fairly casually, even when they're going out. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, but generally speaking, people prefer to dress in comfortable clothing that they can move and breathe easily in.


What about you? What's your favorite type of clothing to wear?

Popular posts from this blog

Cambridge IELTS 11 Test 1 Writing Task 1 Question and Answer

Task 1 Question How to Answer Task 1 Questions Sample Answer Cambridge 11 Writing Task 1 IELTS Writing Task 1 (Academic) tests your written communication skills - how well you can report/describe information. Cambridge IELTS Book 11 Test 1 Writing Task 1 IELTS Writing Test Task 1 You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. The charts below show the percentage of water used for different purposes in six areas of the world. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant Write at least 150 words. International English Language Testing System How would you answer this IELTS 11 Writing Task 1 question about water used for different purposes? IELTS 11 Writing Test 1, Task 1 Answer (useful vocabulary is highlighted ) The pie charts illustrates water usage in six different regions around the world. Notably , Europe consumes the greatest quantity of water for in

How To Answer Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1

Content Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1 How to give your opinion in English Here are some questions from Cambridge IELTS Practice Tests Book 8 Speaking Test 1. They include the IELTS Cue Card Describe a time when you were asked to give your opinion in a questionnaire . A native English speaker gave these sample answers to show you what someone might say. Remember, you can answer these questions in many different ways. Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1 IELTS Speaking Tip Do NOT try to memorize full answers - this is unnatural and IELTS examiners are trained to identify memorized answers. Cambridge IELTS 8 Test 1 Speaking Questions & Answers Part 1 Topic | Neighbours How well do you know the people who live next door to you? I know them quite well because we’ve lived beside each other for a couple of years now. The people who live to the right of me, wel

Computers Speaking Part 1 Questions & Answers

How would you answer these example questions about computers from Part 1 of the IELTS speaking test? What examples would you give? What details would you need to describe? What vocabulary would you need to express yourself well? Tips for IELTS Speaking | IELTS Speaking Part 1 | Computers, computer skills, children and computers, how important are computers? Computer Speaking Part 1 Questions You can use these questions in your IELTS preparation to help you think about what you would say in response to them. Computers Speaking Part 1 Do you often use computers? Yes, I do, very often, in fact every day I use my laptop. I use it for studying, researching, entertainment and also for shopping sometimes. Do you often use a computer? Not very often, I guess I just don't really need one in my day-to-day life. I have a smartphone for email and social media, and I can do most of the things I need to do on my phone. Plus, I like having some time away from screen