Skip to main content

What Hobbies Were Popular in the Past? What Hobbies Will Be Popular in the Future?



IELTS Speaking Test Part 3 | Hobbies in the Past and Future



Do you think you can still do this hobby now? How about in the future?

Yes, I could but I'm not as fanatical about soccer as I used to be. I can still play for fun and sometimes do, but that's about it nowadays.

In the future I think I'll probably play less although I have been approached about a coaching position by a local school so maybe soccer will still be important for me but in a different way in the future.

What were some hobbies of past generations?

Well, apart from sports like in my case, I know that many people used to have different hobbies such as collecting things, gardening, craft work and so on.

My grandfather used to collect stamps and I used to have an uncle who made things from wood, all kinds of things such as chairs and tables, all as a hobby, he was an electrical engineer not a carpenter, but that was his hobby.

I think many traditional hobbies are disappearing, or have already disappeared, as technology and entertainment seem to have taken over our leisure and free time.

What do you think will be the hobbies in the future?

That's almost impossible to say. The way things are developing I don't think we will have hobbies in the future or we won't call them hobbies. We seem to be moving towards a lifestyle where we just have many different activities which all blend together to form our life.

It's like the changes you can see happening in the way we work. People used to leave home and arrive at the factory or office and then start work. Then they would leave work and go home and they had their home life.

Nowadays work follows people around, thanks to cell phones and the internet, you see people talking about work in the car, at lunch and at the weekend; they never seem to stop.

I think in the future we will do less things that are not necessary, like hobbies, and we will be occupied doing more things that are necessary.

That means that the division between free time and work time will become very difficult to distinguish in some cases. Maybe we will stop calling sport a free time activity and start considering it to be an essential activity so that we can be healthy to do all the other activities that are necessary.

How can you bridge the gap between the hobbies of different generations?

Seriously? I don't think you can or need to. Each generation has its 'things' and I don't see any need to pass them all on to the next generation.

Some things transfer naturally, but take stamp collecting as an example, we hardly use stamps nowadays thanks to email and SMS so why would it be important to teach someone about stamp collecting unless they have a real passion for it, in which case they will learn all about it by themselves.

What can you suggest to working people regarding hobbies?

I think the easy answer to that one is to just do whatever it is you like. Everybody needs a break from their other normal activities, so as long as it's something which you enjoy it's got to be good for you.

If it's something that relaxes you or is really interesting then all the better, but it's nice to have something special and different to focus your mind and energy on for a while.



How would you answer these IELTS speaking questions?


IELTS Cue Card Hobbies


Popular posts from this blog

Cambridge IELTS 11 Test 1 Writing Task 1 Question and Answer

Task 1 Question How to Answer Task 1 Questions Sample Answer Cambridge 11 Writing Task 1 IELTS Writing Task 1 (Academic) tests your written communication skills - how well you can report/describe information. Cambridge IELTS Book 11 Test 1 Writing Task 1 IELTS Writing Test Task 1 You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. The charts below show the percentage of water used for different purposes in six areas of the world. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant Write at least 150 words. International English Language Testing System How would you answer this IELTS 11 Writing Task 1 question about water used for different purposes? IELTS 11 Writing Test 1, Task 1 Answer (useful vocabulary is highlighted ) The pie charts illustrates water usage in six different regions around the world. Notably , Europe consumes the greatest quantity of water for in

How To Answer Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1

Content Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1 How to give your opinion in English Here are some questions from Cambridge IELTS Practice Tests Book 8 Speaking Test 1. They include the IELTS Cue Card Describe a time when you were asked to give your opinion in a questionnaire . A native English speaker gave these sample answers to show you what someone might say. Remember, you can answer these questions in many different ways. Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1 IELTS Speaking Tip Do NOT try to memorize full answers - this is unnatural and IELTS examiners are trained to identify memorized answers. Cambridge IELTS 8 Test 1 Speaking Questions & Answers Part 1 Topic | Neighbours How well do you know the people who live next door to you? I know them quite well because we’ve lived beside each other for a couple of years now. The people who live to the right of me, wel

Computers Speaking Part 1 Questions & Answers

How would you answer these example questions about computers from Part 1 of the IELTS speaking test? What examples would you give? What details would you need to describe? What vocabulary would you need to express yourself well? Tips for IELTS Speaking | IELTS Speaking Part 1 | Computers, computer skills, children and computers, how important are computers? Computer Speaking Part 1 Questions You can use these questions in your IELTS preparation to help you think about what you would say in response to them. Computers Speaking Part 1 Do you often use computers? Yes, I do, very often, in fact every day I use my laptop. I use it for studying, researching, entertainment and also for shopping sometimes. Do you often use a computer? Not very often, I guess I just don't really need one in my day-to-day life. I have a smartphone for email and social media, and I can do most of the things I need to do on my phone. Plus, I like having some time away from screen