Skip to main content

How to Describe A Peaceful Place That You Like to Visit

"If I'm looking for a peaceful place to escape the hustle and bustle of daily life, my favorite place to visit is a tranquil beach. With the sound of crashing waves and salty air, it's a great place to relax and unwind"


IELTS Speaking Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

IELTS Speaking Questions & Answers

These IELTS speaking test questions are from a recent IELTS speaking test in the UK.

They include questions from all three parts of the interview: interview, cue card, and discussion questions.

IELTS Speaking Test Part 1

Do you live in a rural or urban area?

I live in the country, about one hour away from the capital city. It's a small village, I was born there, and most of my family are from there originally.

Do you like it there [why? / why not?]

Yes and no, yes because it's quiet and safe and I know everybody and I spent my whole childhood there, so I have a lot of friends and happy memories of the place. No, because it is a bit small for me now. I work in the city, in the business district, and travel every day to get to my company. There aren't a lot of opportunities in the village for young professionals, so I guess that's the downside to it. Maybe next year I'll think about moving into the city to live.

Do you think people sometimes need time to be alone?

Most people do, I think. We often forget, but it's important to spend some time on your own, just thinking about things or relaxing. Life is crazy nowadays with work, and everything has a lot of pressure and urgency, so I think it's good if you can spend some time alone. Having some alone time is a pleasant feeling

Do you think it is easy to find time to be alone nowadays?

For me, yes, once I'm away from work. At home, the ambiance is very different from the city. The pace of life is a little slower and more relaxed. Although I love technology, I have no problem switching my mobile phone off for an hour when I want to escape and go for a relaxing walk in the country near my house.


IELTS Speaking Test Part 2

Describe A Peaceful Place

Describe a peaceful place that you like to visit

You should say:
  • Where the place is
  • What it's like
  • How you know about the place
And say why you like this place.

Model Answer

Well, I told you I live in a peaceful village, but there's a special place nearby that I really like. I love to go there when I feel I need some time on my own. It's my own favourite place to go, relax, and get a clear head if something is bothering me.

It's only about a fifteen-minute walk from my home, so I'm lucky.

There's a small river that runs behind our village, and at this particular place the river is quite narrow, and there are some rocks there. I find the sound of the water rushing over the rocks very soothing.

Sometimes, I can sit there for hours just listening to the sound of the water flowing along.

Most people who live in the village know about this peaceful place and in the summer it can be quite busy with lots of children; they come to swim in the river when it's hot.

That's how I first found it when I was a kid, I came here with some friends, and we used to swim in the afternoon and relax by the river during the vacations from school.

I especially like this place because it has so many good memories of when I was a kid - playing and dping other enjoyable activities there with my friends. And even now, I still love to go there and enjoy some time just watching and listening to the water.

I find it very relaxing. I think it'll always be a special and familiar place. Sometimes I take my grandmother there when she feels like going for a walk because she loves it too.

IELTS Speaking Test Part 3


Noise levels in urban areas are becoming a problem. How can they be reduced?

That would be difficult, I mean everybody says that more and more people are moving to live in cities and towns instead of living in the country as before.

More people will always mean more noise. How can you reduce the noise that people make? I think that a lot of the noise is from city life - traffic, congestion, and general ambient noise. But that's not an easy problem to solve either. If there are more people, there will be more cars, traffic and general noise - city living means a busy life.

I think you can only expect people to respect others living nearby and not make unnecessary noise. Apart from that, most people living in cities usually 'tune out' most of the background noise. They get used to it after a while.

Is there any kind of noise that irritates you? How do you cope with it?

No, not really. Some of my friends who live in the city sometimes complain about city life, loud music late at night during the week. But I don't have that particular problem where I live - it's a peaceful place. If I was them, I'd probably ask the people making the noise to turn down the volume, and if that didn't work, I'd probably move to a quieter building or something.

Some people believe that living in a noisy environment can affect your health. What do you think?

Yes, I've heard that. I think everyone is different, some people don't seem to care about a lot of noise around them, and others want everything to be super quiet, especially when they feel tired.

I suppose it depends on what sort of person you are and what you are accustomed to. If you live in a noisy environment and you aren't happy about it and can't prevent or stop the noise, it will affect your mental health after some time.

Maybe you'd become depressed or unhappy, especially if you couldn't sleep well at night. But for people who don't mind the noise, I don't think it would really be a problem for them.

I have a friend who lives very close to a busy railway line. Every time I visit him, I'm amazed at how noisy it is when a train goes past but never seems to notice it, but then he's lived there all his life, so I guess he's well used to it.


Related

A peaceful place that you have visited

The most peaceful place I have visited is Mortimer Bay on the Isle of Wight. Gentle green hills surround the bay, and the water is deep blue. It's a great place to relax and clear your mind. The last time I visited the bay, I sat on the rocks near the water for some time. I let myself be surrounded by nature and felt at one with its beauty, taking it all in. It's hard to explain just how peaceful the place is.

A peaceful place you visit regularly

The house my grandmother lives in is like a peaceful oasis. It's always calm and quiet, and the air smells sweet and fresh. I love visiting there, especially when things are stressful or hectic at home.

She always has a delicious meal waiting for me, and she loves to sit down and chat with me about everything going on in my life. She's a great listener, and I feel so relaxed and refreshed after spending time with her. Her house is the only place I feel truly happy.

A place where you feel at peace with yourself

For me, a place of peace is at home when I'm meditating. I find that if I take some time each day to sit in silence and focus on my breath, it helps me clear my head and connect with my inner peace. It's a great way to compose myself and regain a calm and clear head during times of stress or chaos with so many problems arising everyday.

Describe a peaceful place (where you go)

A cabin in the woods is a great place to find peace. It's quiet and surrounded by nature, which can be incredibly soothing. The fresh air and natural surroundings can help you clear your mind and relax. Plus, there's nothing quite like spending time in the woods to make you feel connected to the world around you.

There's nothing quite like spending a peaceful afternoon sitting on my patio in the garden. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and the smell of fresh flowers is in the air. It's such a calm and relaxing place where I can forget all my troubles and just enjoy the moment.

I find that spending time outdoors in nature is healing for the soul, and it always seems to put me in a good mood. I'm so lucky to have a beautiful space like this to escape to whenever I need some peace and quiet.


A peaceful place that you have visited

One of my favorite places is the beach. It's such a peaceful atmosphere and calming to listen to the waves crash against the shore while watching the sunset in the sky. It's always a place where I can find peace and relaxation.

A peaceful place that you like to go to

I love going to the mountains. The air is so fresh and clean, and the scenery is just so beautiful. It's a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life and just relax and take in all the natural beauty around you.

A quiet place you like to spend time in

1. There's something about spending time in nature that is so calming and peaceful. It's like all of your troubles just melt away when surrounded by the beauty of the natural world. For me, the perfect quiet place to spend time is in my backyard, there are so many trees and flowers. I find it deeply refreshing to sit there and listen to the birds singing or the leaves rustling and feel the wind blow. It's a soothing way to center yourself after a long day.

2. While you might not immediately think of schools as peaceful, they do have their own brand of quiet calm. Places of education, both primary and secondary schools, buzz with the energy of learning and discovery. Yet, there are times—perhaps early in the morning before the halls fill with students or during a silent reading period—when a pleasant stillness fills the air. Amidst the day-to-day excitement, these institutions create moments of tranquility that allow students to enjoy peaceful moments. I love to spend time in the library at my school - it's so quiet, like a sanctuary!

A quiet place that you like to go to

A quiet place that I like to go to is my backyard. It's surrounded by trees, and there's a creek nearby that makes a soothing sound. It's a great place to relax and clear my mind. I also like to go for walks in the park near my house. There are plenty of trails and open spaces that make it a great place to get some exercise. Plus, there's always something new to see in the park.