How to Prepare for TOEFL & IELTS - Top Tips for International English Exam Preparation - Studying Abroad
PREPARATION FOR TOEFL AND IELTSKnowing how to prepare for international English exams is essential when learning English, especially when you plan to travel abroad. Therefore, this is an aspect that must be taken into account when learning English.
The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and IELTS (International English Language Testing System) are the main international English exams that are presented to assess the level of English when you decide to travel abroad, especially when planning to study abroad in, for example, the USA, UK, Australia and Canada.
Both exams are divided into 4 sections: listening (oral comprehension), reading (written comprehension), writing (written production) and speaking (oral production.)
Here are some tips for preparing the TOEL and IELTS exams, in case you are thinking of doing one of the two:
- Familiarize yourself with the format of the exam. Although both tests are divided into the same sections, there are some differences between both formats and it is important to know them to avoid confusion.
- During your exam preparation, try to be exposed to English most of the time. Texts, news, television programs, music and any medium that you can use in English will be very useful for you to better understand the English language and stay in contact with it daily.
- Grammar is an essential part of these types of English exams, both for the written and the oral part. Knowing the basic grammatical structures of English and the parts of speech helps to understand the statements without having to know all the vocabulary.
- For oral comprehension, keep in mind that during the exam, the audio tracks will only be played once. It is important that you train your ear with different audios, learning to focus on the main ideas and key details of what is being said.
- Vocabulary, idioms, pronunciation and coherence are the main aspects you should focus on for the part of oral production. Reading different texts and listening to native speakers will allow you to learn the proper use of expressions and the correct pronunciation. If you have any doubt about the use or pronunciation of a word, clarify it immediately.
- During your training, write as much as possible in English. This will help your writing become more dynamic and clear.