Skip to main content

IELTS Speaking - Clothes, Fashion & Happiness


Need to get a 7.0 on IELTS Speaking?

IELTS speaking is the most critical part of your test, but it can be challenging to know what you must do to get a high score.

This free series of sample questions and answers will help you answer questions about clothes, fashion, and happiness so that you can achieve your target score of 7.0 or higher in IELTS Speaking.

Do you want to ace your IELTS speaking test?

We’ve got the answers for you! Check out our free sample answers by native speakers, where we reveal all the secrets of how to get a higher score on your speaking section.

This IELTS speaking test includes these questions:

  • What do you think makes people happy?
  • Do you think money is important for achieving happiness in life?
  • Why do people dislike going to markets to buy new clothes?
  • What is the importance of clothes / fashion in your country?
  • What is the negative impact of fashion on young people?
  • Do clothes reflect people’s personalities? Why? / Why not?

The sample answers are based on an IELTS speaking test done recently.

There are many possible ways to answer these IELTS questions. These are only some ideas and should not be considered the only possible answers.

IELTS Speaking Test Part 1

What is your name? My name is Henry Gregor Marshall May I see your ID please?

Of course, here it is.

Do you work or study?

I’m working at the moment. I’m an Engineer in a local company here.

Do you like your job?

Well, sometimes. It’s really interesting, but it’s also very demanding. I don’t get a lot of free time, and I have to travel sometimes, which means that I have to be away from my family – that part I’m not so keen on, but on the whole, it’s a good job and I enjoy it.

What is happiness according to your understanding?

That’s an interesting question. I think everyone has their own interpretation of what happiness is depending on their culture, beliefs, and personality. For me, it’s having the freedom and opportunity to do what I want. I don’t need to have a lot of material things to be happy, but the freedom to choose what I do when I do it and how I do it is what makes me happy.

What do you think makes people happy?

That’s a difficult question to answer without talking for hours on the topic. Different things make different people happy. Some people think that buying a lot of things or having a lot of money makes them happy. Others feel happy when they have no stress in their lives or when they achieve something in their life. For example, graduating from university or getting a good job, getting married, or starting a family. I guess that most people think that the idea of stopping work eventually and retiring will make them happy.

What do you do to remain happy?

I try to do things I want to do. Sometimes I can do them immediately, and sometimes I need to plan for them. I also try to avoid negative people as much as possible. I’m not very materialistic, as I said before. So it doesn’t bother me or make me sad if I don’t have the latest or newest of everything. As long as I’m doing what I want or working towards doing what I want to do - I’m ok.

Do you think money is important for achieving happiness in life?

Well, that depends on how important money is for you, I guess. For some people, money is everything, isn't it? For others, money is not so important. There are rich and happy people and rich people that are not as happy, as we all know. For sure, having enough money to do what you want can certainly make life easier, but that doesn’t automatically mean that you’ll be happy. It’s a personal thing, although it’s clear that money isn’t always necessary to be happy. Lots of people are happy, but they don’t have a lot of money. Would they be any happier if they had more money? I don’t think the relationship between money and happiness is that simple. For me, yes, it’s important, but not everything.

IELTS Speaking Test Part 2

Talk about fashion in clothes.

You should say:

  • What type of clothes do you like?
  • Why do you wear this type of clothes?
  • How often do you go to markets/shops to buy new clothes?
  • Do you spend a lot of money on new clothes? Why? / Why not?

and explain the importance of clothes to you.

IELTS Speaking - Talk about fashion in clothes

Well, fashion is a strange thing, isn’t it? I mean it’s a total invention by some people who dictate what we should or shouldn’t be wearing at any time. Really, it’s all a bit ridiculous because we’re allowing someone else to influence what we wear rather than making our own choices.

For me, it’s simple; I wear clothes that are appropriate for the occasion or function. So, if I’m going to a business meeting, I wear a suit and tie suitable for the occasion. If I’m going out with friends, then something appropriate depending on where we’re going.

I don’t really follow fashion – in fact, I usually make a point of not buying the latest colors or styles. They change so often, and I can’t be bothered shopping for clothes that much - it’s boring. I’d rather buy something that I will be able to wear for years than have to be buying more clothes every six months or so just to keep up with fashion.

Anyway, not all fashions suit all people. Many people wear clothes that just don’t suit them only because they are in fashion and that’s just plain stupid. I generally only buy clothes when I need them – I don’t like shopping for clothes, it’s a waste of time. So I only go when I need something, sometimes it’s every couple of months, but sometimes it’s a lot longer.

How much I spend on clothes depends on what I’m buying. If it’s for a special occasion, then I usually spend a bit more. But if it’s for normal everyday use, then I don’t spend as much. Brand names and stuff like that don’t really impress me. If I like something, then I like it – not really important who made it.

So fashion isn’t really a big thing in my life. Clothes are something I need to cover my body appropriately, depending on the situation. And shopping for clothes or buying clothes certainly doesn’t make me happy or anything like that. It’s just something I have to do sometimes. Clothes for me are not really important.



IELTS Speaking Test Part 3

Why do people dislike going to markets to buy new clothes?

Some people love shopping for clothes in markets, and others don’t. Some people might dislike the environment – too many people – too busy, or the clothes available are not what they want. There could be many reasons. Maybe they dislike going clothes shopping in markets simply because their friends won’t go there.

Why do people spend more time choosing new clothes?

Well, as I said before, many things make different people happy. And I know that many people, especially women, have a lot of fun clothes shopping. It makes them happy checking out everything available and trying them on. They can spend hours and hours looking for the perfect blouse, pants, or whatever it is they are looking for. It’s like a hobby or pastime - it makes them feel good. It’s also a social activity for them, especially if they go with a friend or family. Of course, some people maybe spend a lot of time choosing clothes because they are indecisive and can’t make their mind up about which clothes they like best - sometimes there is just too much choice.

What is the importance of clothes / fashion in your country?

Here, people are very fashion conscious. I mean they spend so much time shopping for clothes - incredible! Clothes show who you are and define you and let people know which social group you belong to. People here worry a lot about their appearance. There is a lot of importance given to clothes and your appearance and stuff like that. Brand names on clothes are another important factor here - it’s important to wear the right brands to be fashionable.

What is the negative impact of fashion on young people in your country?

It’s hard to measure, not just here but anywhere. I guess it’s subliminal. They don’t realize how external forces influence their actions and decisions. But if they put as much effort into other areas of life as they do into being fashionable, it would be interesting to see what would happen. Can you imagine for a moment if they didn’t spend all that time and money on buying clothes and shoes and fashion accessories and spent all that time, money and energy on other things - that would be interesting to see. But of course, society has taught us to follow certain social norms, to be accepted. Most young people follow what their friends do - so they are accepted by their peers. I guess the worst impact for young people could be the lack of ability to be a real individual despite what others might think about their clothes or fashion sense. Putting too much importance on being accepted socially might have a detrimental effect on how young people think in the future. After all, fashion isn’t real – it’s an industry - a way of making lots of money for a certain group of people.

Do clothes reflect people’s personalities? Why? / Why not?

Sometimes they do, but then again, maybe not - because everyone wears more or less the same, don’t they? As you get older, you might express your style a little bit more. But when you are young, you generally follow what all your friends are wearing, and they don’t all have the same personality. If you think about it – the fashion industry dictates what people should be wearing – so how does that reflect different personalities. Maybe the color has more to do with expressing your personality than the style of clothes. You know, dark colors mean that you’re serious and things like that. However, if we all designed and made our clothes then I guess that would mean that our clothes reflected our personalities, but as most clothes are mass-produced and people’s personalities are not, I don’t see how they reflect or show our personality.

Describe a fashion show that you attended.

Well, once I was invited by a friend to attend one – not the sort of thing I would usually go to - but it was interesting to see how it was. They did it in an old castle, which was impressive - the way they had illuminated the walls etc. There were a lot of people there all looking very fashionable, of course. The models were beautiful, the place was full of photographers, and the atmosphere was tantalizing. The music was very evocative too. Backstage everyone was frantically working to organize everything. It seemed a bit chaotic at times, which was in total contrast to the perfectly executed catwalk parade outside. I don’t think I would go again, because I'm not into that sort of thing, but it was interesting to see it once, thanks to my friend.

How would you answer these IELTS speaking test questions about happiness, clothes and fashion?

Good luck in your IELTS exam!

FAQs

How Much Do You Spend on Clothes?

I probably spend about $500-$1000 a month. I wear sneakers to work, so no need for shoe purchases there. I have multiple pairs of jeans, sweatshirts, sweaters, blouses, and so on, so my winter clothes get the lion's share of the spending each month. In summer I mostly buy skirts and shorts. I can find all that at GAP or Target or H&M cheaply enough.

How often Do You shop for Clothes?

It depends. Sometimes, I will go months without buying anything new but then buy three things in just a few days. It's all about being careful with money, but it also has to do with luck.

Sometimes I am at Target or Forever 21 and find something that is just so good on me that I have to buy it. Other times I might be at Macy's with my mom and see something stunning that I feel compelled to buy.

Other times, I go thrift store browsing with an eye for the nice thing every once in a while when you get lucky.

Popular posts from this blog

Cambridge IELTS 11 Test 1 Writing Task 1 Question and Answer

Task 1 Question How to Answer Task 1 Questions Sample Answer Cambridge 11 Writing Task 1 IELTS Writing Task 1 (Academic) tests your written communication skills - how well you can report/describe information. Cambridge IELTS Book 11 Test 1 Writing Task 1 IELTS Writing Test Task 1 You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. The charts below show the percentage of water used for different purposes in six areas of the world. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant Write at least 150 words. International English Language Testing System How would you answer this IELTS 11 Writing Task 1 question about water used for different purposes? IELTS 11 Writing Test 1, Task 1 Answer (useful vocabulary is highlighted ) The pie charts illustrates water usage in six different regions around the world. Notably , Europe consumes the greatest quantity of water for in

How To Answer Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1

Content Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1 How to give your opinion in English Here are some questions from Cambridge IELTS Practice Tests Book 8 Speaking Test 1. They include the IELTS Cue Card Describe a time when you were asked to give your opinion in a questionnaire . A native English speaker gave these sample answers to show you what someone might say. Remember, you can answer these questions in many different ways. Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1 IELTS Speaking Tip Do NOT try to memorize full answers - this is unnatural and IELTS examiners are trained to identify memorized answers. Cambridge IELTS 8 Test 1 Speaking Questions & Answers Part 1 Topic | Neighbours How well do you know the people who live next door to you? I know them quite well because we’ve lived beside each other for a couple of years now. The people who live to the right of me, wel

Computers Speaking Part 1 Questions & Answers

How would you answer these example questions about computers from Part 1 of the IELTS speaking test? What examples would you give? What details would you need to describe? What vocabulary would you need to express yourself well? Tips for IELTS Speaking | IELTS Speaking Part 1 | Computers, computer skills, children and computers, how important are computers? Computer Speaking Part 1 Questions You can use these questions in your IELTS preparation to help you think about what you would say in response to them. Computers Speaking Part 1 Do you often use computers? Yes, I do, very often, in fact every day I use my laptop. I use it for studying, researching, entertainment and also for shopping sometimes. Do you often use a computer? Not very often, I guess I just don't really need one in my day-to-day life. I have a smartphone for email and social media, and I can do most of the things I need to do on my phone. Plus, I like having some time away from screen