IELTS Reading Questions
In the IELTS Academic Reading and IELTS General Training Reading sections there are various tasks you may have to do. One of them is the type of question where you have to decide if the information in the IELTS Reading text is True, False or Not Given. Here are some tips to help you with IELTS Reading True, False, Not Given questions.
How to answer True/False/Not Given, Yes/No/Not Given IELTS Reading questionsIn the IELTS Reading test question booklet, you will see some sentences related to the IELTS Reading text. The sentences will follow the order of the text. You will be asked to decide if the sentence agrees with (True) or contradicts (False) the IELTS Reading text or if there is not sufficient information in the text /article for you to decide if it is true or false (Not Given).
The difference between True/False/Not Given and Yes/No/Not Given IELTS Reading questions
- True/False/Not Given questions test your understanding of factual information.
- Yes/No/Not Given tests your understanding of the writer’s opinions.
Technique for answering IELTS True/False/Not Given, and Yes/No/Not Given questions
- Skim the whole text before you start any of the tasks.
- Read the instructions carefully so that you are clear about what you have to do.
- Read the first statement; underline any keywords.
- Look through the text to find the relevant information.
- Underline the part of the text that contains the answer.
- Decide if the statement is True / False / Not Given or Yes / No / Not Given.
- You must base your answer on the content of the text, not your personal knowledge or opinion.
- Not Given means there is not enough information in the text to decide if the statement is True / False (Yes / No).
- Repeat for the other statements.
- If you have difficulty finding the relevant part of the text or you are not sure – choose Not Given.
Try using these techniques to practice with past IELTS reading test papers to become familiar with answering IELTS Reading | True / False / Not Given | Yes / No / Not Given type questions.