Skip to main content

Describe An Interesting Journey You Have Been On | What Happened?

"What happened next was quite the adventure. I hopped on a plane to go visit my aunt in Paris, and while I was there I decided to explore the city."


IELTS Speaking Questions and Sample Answers

These IELTS speaking questions and answers are based on an IELTS speaking test Australia recently.

IELTS Speaking Part 1

Do you like to draw?

Not now, in fact I can’t really remember the last time I drew anything, but when I was a child I used to love drawing.

Are drawings important in people’s lives?

I think it depends on the individual, for some people, yes, they’re important and for others, well maybe no, or not so important.

I think they’re probably more important for children – because they normally do a lot more drawing than adults.

Is it hard to draw?

No, but it’s hard to draw well – you need to have talent to draw really well, and you need to practice a lot.

Can you tell me how you spend your birthdays?

Well, normally I don’t do anything special, maybe go out and meet some friends, go for dinner or a couple of drinks. Every year seems to be something different, so it depends where I am and who I’m spending time with.

Please, describe your most interesting birthday.

I think it was the first year I spent living abroad, in a different culture, and they made a really big deal of it.

As I said, I don’t usually do anything very special, but they thought it was very important and made a big fuss about it all and arranged a party with lots of people and everything.

Do all your friends know when your birthday is?

No, some do, but some don’t ... a little strange I know.

IELTS Speaking Part 2

Cue Card Topic

Describe the most interesting journey that you had when you were young. You should say:
- Where you went
- Who was with you
- Why the trip was interesting
and explain what happened during it.



Describe An interesting journey when you were young

I remember my most interesting journey, when I was about six years old, with my parents. We travelled by car up north and the thing that I remember most was the amazing scenery which was quite different from where we used to live. I couldn’t really remember seeing big mountains before that trip, but the ones I saw were so huge and steep that I recall being seriously impressed by them.

I also saw some amazing rivers running down through the mountains and I can remember there was a waterfall, with the water cascading down the side of one of the mountains, and I also saw a lot of animals that you wouldn’t normally see living in a city.

It was a long trip, I seem to remember it took most of the day, although we stopped every now and then to take a break and have something to eat before continuing.

I remember that for a lot of the time I just sat in the car and my face was like pushed up to the window just watching all these things go past as we travelled along the road.

Every time I thought I had seen the tallest mountain – we would go round the next bend in the road and there was an even taller mountain right in front.

As we went up the mountain road you could see right down into the valley below and I remember feeling a little afraid because I thought if the car fell off the road then we would drop all the way down to the bottom – it was a long way down. It’s funny thinking about it now.

I guess that particular journey was the most interesting journey I have ever made because it was the first time I really remember seeing really different landscape from the normal things I would see where I grew up – so it was really impressive and I can still remember the colours and the different smells in the air as we drove along the road.

Looking back on it now, yes, it was my most interesting journey when I was a child.


IELTS Speaking Part 3

Discussion Questions

How can people travel around your country?

There are all the normal forms of transport, you know, cars, buses, trains, airplanes. I suppose if you were thinking about visiting various different places then a car might be the easiest and most convenient way of doing it. Then you could stop and start and go wherever and whenever you want without any problems.

Using the train is quite fast, but they’re only between the major cities, so if you want to go anywhere else, you’d probably have to get a bus, and airplanes are quite expensive, and again they only fly between the largest cities, so if you want to see the country, using a car is probably your best bet.

Can you compare the prices of different types of transportation?

Well, that’s quite easy, flying is the most expensive; then comes the car, if you take into account fuel and maintenance etc., and then the bus, and the most economic would be using a bicycle, which is actually becoming really popular again here at the moment, because fuel is so expensive and there’s so much traffic congestion.

Which type of transportation will be used the most in the future?

Well, I think the way things are developing, we’ll continue to use cars, but as we’ve already seen - the cars we’ll be using in the future will be very different from what we’ve been used to so far.

We can already see the beginning of ‘smart cars’ and eco-friendly cars. They’re smaller, cleaner, hybrid and much less wasteful with fuel - I’m sure that we’ll be seeing a lot more of them in the future.

What benefits do people get from travelling?

It depends where they travel to. For example, you could say that there’s very little benefit from travelling to work everyday – apart from working and getting paid.

However, if we’re talking about travelling abroad or visiting a place you wouldn’t normally go to, then I think that travelling can have a lot of benefits - it can be fun, interesting, relaxing and provide a welcome break from just doing the same old things over and over again.

Certainly, travelling abroad makes you appreciate what’s good and bad back home, and also broadens your perspective on life, culture and such things – so it’s quite an experience.


How would you answer this IELTS speaking test question about an intersting journey?

  • Which childhood journey do you remember the most?
  • Why was the journey special?
  • What's your best memory from that journey?

IELTS Speaking Tips

Similar questions on the topic of a journey

  • Describe an interesting journey you have been on
  • Describe a long and interesting journey you have made
  • What is the most exciting journey you've been on?
  • Describe an exciting journey you once took
  • Describe an interesting trip
  • Describe an interesting trip you have taken
  • Describe a journey you make everyday
  • Describe an exciting journey
  • Describe a journey that you particularly enjoyed
  • Describe a journey you made in the past that you remember well

Popular posts from this blog

Cambridge IELTS 11 Test 1 Writing Task 1 Question and Answer

Task 1 Question How to Answer Task 1 Questions Sample Answer Cambridge 11 Writing Task 1 IELTS Writing Task 1 (Academic) tests your written communication skills - how well you can report/describe information. Cambridge IELTS Book 11 Test 1 Writing Task 1 IELTS Writing Test Task 1 You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. The charts below show the percentage of water used for different purposes in six areas of the world. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant Write at least 150 words. International English Language Testing System How would you answer this IELTS 11 Writing Task 1 question about water used for different purposes? IELTS 11 Writing Test 1, Task 1 Answer (useful vocabulary is highlighted ) The pie charts illustrates water usage in six different regions around the world. Notably , Europe consumes the greatest quantity of water for in

How to Answer Cambridge 11 Test 2 Writing Task 1

IELTS Writing How would you answer this IELTS Writing Task 1 question about: The charts below show the proportions of British students at one university in England who were able to speak other languages in addition to English, in 2000 and 2010? How to answer IELTS Task 1 writing questions? This is a question that many people ask when they are thinking about taking the International English Language Testing System exam. Cambridge 11 Test 2 Writing Task 1 - The charts below show the proportions of British students at one university in England who were able to speak other languages in addition to English. Cambridge 11 Test 2 Writing Task 1 - The charts below show the proportions of British students at one university in England who were able to speak other languages in addition to English. IELTS Writing Task 1 Structure If you want to do well in IELTS writing, it's important that you know how to answer Task 1 correctly! In this post, we will discuss some of the bas

How To Answer Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1

Content Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1 How to give your opinion in English Here are some questions from Cambridge IELTS Practice Tests Book 8 Speaking Test 1. They include the IELTS Cue Card Describe a time when you were asked to give your opinion in a questionnaire . A native English speaker gave these sample answers to show you what someone might say. Remember, you can answer these questions in many different ways. Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1 IELTS Speaking Tip Do NOT try to memorize full answers - this is unnatural and IELTS examiners are trained to identify memorized answers. Cambridge IELTS 8 Test 1 Speaking Questions & Answers Part 1 Topic | Neighbours How well do you know the people who live next door to you? I know them quite well because we’ve lived beside each other for a couple of years now. The people who live to the right of me, wel