Skip to main content

IELTS Speaking Practice - How To Answer IELTS Speaking Questions

IELTS Speaking Practice

Here are some ideas of things you can say in response to some typical IELTS speaking questions.

In Part 1 of the speaking test you don't have to give very long response, usually just yes / no and some details / reasons / examples.

In part 2 and Part 3, you can extend your responses some more and show how well you can speak in English.

IELTS Part 1 Questions

Can I see your ID, please? / May I see your ID, please?

Easy Level Sample Answers:

  • "Yes, of course. Here it is."
  • "Sure, here is my identification."
  • "Certainly, please have a look."
  • "Absolutely, here you go."
  • "Yes, you may. Here is my ID."

Intermediate Level Sample Answers:

  • "Yes, certainly. I have my passport. Here it is."
  • "Absolutely, I have my driver's license for identification. There you are {pass it to examiner}."
  • "Of course, here's my ID card for verification."
  • "Sure. Here is my university ID card."
  • "Yes, indeed. here's my identification document."

Are you working or studying?

Easy Level Sample Answers:

  • "I am currently a student."
  • "I am employed."
  • "I am working for a local company."
  • "Studying is what I am doing currently."
  • "I am working right now."

Intermediate Level Sample Answers:

  • "I am engaged in my studies at the university."
  • "I am currently employed as a software developer."
  • "I am working with a multinational corporation at the moment."
  • "I am pursuing my studies and focusing on my major."
  • "I am gainfully employed and am enjoying my work."

Advanced/Band 9 Level Sample Answers:

  • "I am doing both at the moment, I'm working and studying, I'm a manager in a local company and I'm also studying for an MBA."
  • "Right now, I'm fully focused on my academic journey at the university, where I'm majoring in Engineering."
  • "I'm working at a reputable firm, sharpening my skills as a Financial Analyst."
  • "Currently, I'm fully immersed in my professional life as a Project Manager at a well-established IT company."
  • "My time is currently dedicated to my studies in Biological Sciences at a renowned institution."
  • "I'm happily employed as a Healthcare Consultant, using my expertise to contribute to the field."


Do you enjoy the job? [Why?]

Easy Level Sample Answers:

  • Yes, I do / No, I don't.
  • I like it sometimes, but at other times It's boring.
  • Sometimes it's good, but not always.
  • Generally I like it but it can be difficult at times.
  • Yes, it's a great job, I love it and feel very lucky to have it.
  • No I absolutely hate it, but I need the money for my family, but I'm looking for another job at the moment.

[answering the 'why?' part of the question - give your reasons]

  • ... because it's an interesting job
  • ... because it's challenging work
  • ... the people I work with are great
  • ... it's an excellent company to work for and the salary / benefits / conditions are really good
  • ... it's good because there are many [opportunities / advantages / challenges/available
  • ... because it's boring / uninteresting/ unchallenging / repetitive / predictable
  • ... because there are no opportunities for promotion / new challenges / benefits
  • ... because the boss / my boss is [describe negative aspects of boss ... very stricy / unfair / too demanding / unreasonable].

Where do you study?

  • I study at [name of institution] / I'm studying at [name of institution]
  • I'm a student at [name of institution]
  • I attend [name of institution]
  • I'm doing a course at [name of institution]
  • I'm a full-time student at [name of institution]
  • I'm a part-time student at [name of institution]

How do you travel to school / college / university?

  • I travel by [method of transport]
  • I usually go by bus / car / train / bike / foot (walking)
  • I normally take the bus / train / tram /
  • I have to use the bus and then take a taxi
  • Sometimes I drive but mainly I take the bus

Is it a good school / college / university?

  • Yes / no, because [give reasons or examples why it's good or bad]
  • It's a superb school because the quality of education is very high / extremely good / the best
  • The university is well known because of it's reputation for developing excellent professionals in the area of [give examples: engineering / science / business]


Do you like birds?

  • Yes / no, because [give reasons why].
  • Yes, I love them because for me they represent freedom, they can fly wherever they want and they are so graceful.
  • No, I don't really like birds, because I think they cause a lot of problems for farmers.

Do you think birds are important in our life? Why?

  • Yes / no, because [give reasons]
  • Yes, I believe they are because they are beautiful and when they sing thay can make you feel happy listening to them and watching them fly around.
  • No, I don't think they are important, they are just like many other animals and can be a nuisance in some cases.

Should people protect birds? Why?

  • Yes, if they are rare because it's important to protect all rare animal species.
  • No, I don't think it's that important, they are like any other animal and we shouldn't worry too much about protecting them. Nature will take care of them.


IELTS Part 2 Topic Question

Remember, in this part you are expected to speak for between one and two minutes on the topic - obviously the more you can say, the better.

The examiner will have a 'bigger' sample to grade. You should practice to be able to speak for two minutes on many different topics.

Describe a neighbor that you know well.

Please say:
- Who is he/she?
- How did you meet him/her?
- How long have you known him/her?
And explain why you like/dislike him/her?

Model Answer

Prompts / Ideas

  • I'd like to talk about my neighbor who lives in the [apartment above me / apartment below me / house next to me / a few doors along from me / same street as me/ across the street from me].
  • Describe him / her/ the family ... [he's in his twenties/thirties/forties. etc., she's about twenty / thirty something years old, they're a family of four /five, there is the mom and dad and [number] children.
  • I first met [name of neighbor] when we moved into the street where we live.
  • I met him /her when they moved into the street where we lived.
  • I met him/her at school / university before I knew he / she lived in the same street as me.
  • We met accidentally one day while we were playing in the street when we were kids.
  • Our parents introduced us ...
  • I can't really remember the first time ... we've known each other since we were children.
  • We grew up together in the same street so we've always know each other.
  • I like him/her because [give reasons]
  • He's / she's funny / interesting / always happy/ a good friend

sample Answer

A neighbor that I know quite well is Mr. Johnson, who resides in the house adjacent to mine. He is a gentleman in his late sixties, with a presence that exudes an aura of wisdom and kindness. Our acquaintance dates back to when I moved into this neighborhood about a decade ago.

Mr. Johnson introduced himself on our very first day here, extending a warm welcome accompanied by a delicious homemade pie. His friendly demeanor and the twinkle in his eye were infectious, making him an immediate favorite among my family. Over the years, our relationship has evolved from mere neighbors to close family friends.

What I admire most about Mr. Johnson is his zest for life. Despite his age, he is incredibly active and has a multitude of hobbies ranging from gardening to playing the piano. His garden is a riot of colors during spring, and his piano melodies often waft through our windows, filling our home with dulcet tones.

Mr. Johnson is also an invaluable source of support. When my family faced a crisis, he was there, providing emotional support and practical help. His resilience and optimistic outlook on life inspire me, teaching me to face life's hurdles with courage and a positive mindset.

Furthermore, Mr. Johnson is a man of remarkable wisdom. Our conversations often touch on various subjects, from history to philosophy to current events. His thoughts and perspectives enlighten me and have significantly shaped my worldview.

In a world where neighborhoods are often just a collection of houses, people like Mr. Johnson make them feel like a community. I am truly fortunate to have a neighbor like him.



IELTS Part 3 Questions

Why do we need neighbors?

It's common for people to have neighbors, and it can sometimes be nice if you get along with them, but I don't think we need them; they're not essential. Lots of people complain about their neighbors, so maybe it's not always a positive thing.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to having neighbors?

Sure, some neighbors are not so good, not desirable, some people would say. Maybe they make a lot of noise or have a dog that barks or something like that, or they have some other annoying behavior. I guess it could be an advantage if you have nice neighbors who could maybe help you with things sometimes or watch over your home if you're away.

How often do you meet them?

I normally see him / her coming and going every day, but we usually just say hi or bye as we pass each other. During the summer months we usually share a BBQ or a picnic a couple of times, but we're not really close friends.

Do you meet them during special occasions such as the New Year?

Yes, sometimes. He / she travels quite frequently abroad to visit their brother who lives in the USA, so they aren't always home at Christmas and New Year.

What are the advantages or disadvantages of having social groups in neighborhoods?

Advantages:

  • I think sometimes groups can help solve problems or they can provide a way for different neighbors to meet each other and maybe socialize.
  • They could also offer support for people living on their own, because not everyone lives with their family.

Disadvantages:

  • Not all neighbors want to participate.
  • If all the neighbors don't participate then it can divide the neighborhood.
  • People can have arguments in the group or try to dominate the group.


Popular posts from this blog

Cambridge IELTS 11 Test 1 Writing Task 1 Question and Answer

Task 1 Question How to Answer Task 1 Questions Sample Answer Cambridge 11 Writing Task 1 IELTS Writing Task 1 (Academic) tests your written communication skills - how well you can report/describe information. Cambridge IELTS Book 11 Test 1 Writing Task 1 IELTS Writing Test Task 1 You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. The charts below show the percentage of water used for different purposes in six areas of the world. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant Write at least 150 words. International English Language Testing System How would you answer this IELTS 11 Writing Task 1 question about water used for different purposes? IELTS 11 Writing Test 1, Task 1 Answer (useful vocabulary is highlighted ) The pie charts illustrates water usage in six different regions around the world. Notably , Europe consumes the greatest quantity of water for in

How To Answer Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1

Content Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1 How to give your opinion in English Here are some questions from Cambridge IELTS Practice Tests Book 8 Speaking Test 1. They include the IELTS Cue Card Describe a time when you were asked to give your opinion in a questionnaire . A native English speaker gave these sample answers to show you what someone might say. Remember, you can answer these questions in many different ways. Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1 IELTS Speaking Tip Do NOT try to memorize full answers - this is unnatural and IELTS examiners are trained to identify memorized answers. Cambridge IELTS 8 Test 1 Speaking Questions & Answers Part 1 Topic | Neighbours How well do you know the people who live next door to you? I know them quite well because we’ve lived beside each other for a couple of years now. The people who live to the right of me, wel

Computers Speaking Part 1 Questions & Answers

How would you answer these example questions about computers from Part 1 of the IELTS speaking test? What examples would you give? What details would you need to describe? What vocabulary would you need to express yourself well? Tips for IELTS Speaking | IELTS Speaking Part 1 | Computers, computer skills, children and computers, how important are computers? Computer Speaking Part 1 Questions You can use these questions in your IELTS preparation to help you think about what you would say in response to them. Computers Speaking Part 1 Do you often use computers? Yes, I do, very often, in fact every day I use my laptop. I use it for studying, researching, entertainment and also for shopping sometimes. Do you often use a computer? Not very often, I guess I just don't really need one in my day-to-day life. I have a smartphone for email and social media, and I can do most of the things I need to do on my phone. Plus, I like having some time away from screen