Skip to main content

Talk about a song that you like the most | IELTS Speaking Part 2

Here is an example of an IELTS Speaking Test Part 2 topic question.

Talk about a song that you like the most

You should say:
  • What song is it?
  • Why do you like it?
  • When did you listen to it first?
  • When / where do you normally listen to it?

IELTS Speaking Answer | A song you like

Okay, so there are a lot of songs that I like, and my taste in music is wide and varied, but one of the songs that I like the most and have done for many years is Nessun Dorma.

The name means “None shall sleep” in English. It’s a song from the opera Turandot, written by Giacomo Puccini. It’s sung by the character Calaf (the unknown prince), who falls in love at first sight with a beautiful Princess, Turandot.

However, according to the story, any man who wants to marry the princess must first answer her three riddles; if he fails, he will be beheaded, in other words, he will have his head chopped off.

Once Calaf has correctly answered the three riddles she is reluctant to marry him, so Calaf offers her another chance, by challenging her to guess his name by dawn – remember he’s the ‘unknown prince’. If she does so, she can execute him; but if she does not, she must marry him.

She then orders all the people in her kingdom to find out what his name is before the morning, or they will all die – hence the name “None shall sleep”; nobody will sleep that night until they know his name.

It’s a very emotional song, usually sung in Italian, the original language of the opera. The first time I heard it – it moved me – and I didn’t even understand the words the first time I heard it. That’s part of its charm for me – the fact that just the sound of it is so powerful and emotive, even in an unknown language. Shortly after hearing it for the first time, I tried to translate it into English myself; I was so interested to know what it meant.

I can still remember exactly when I first heard it – it was part of the movie soundtrack of The Killing Fields which was released in 1984. The movie was about Cambodia. Anyway, the music from Nessun Dorma was used during the movie and that’s when I first heard it.

As I said, it made a big impression on me because it’s so full of emotion and power and since then I’ve listened to various versions and listened to various famous singers and their versions of it. One of the most popular worldwide was Luciano Pavarotti’s version. In fact, it was used as the theme music by the BBC during the 1990 FIFA World Cup and also at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Toronto. I guess it must be one of the best-known ‘opera songs’ in the world now.

My favourite time to listen to it is in the evening as the sun is going down and the day turns into night – it has a haunting melody and I can easily listen to it several times.

IELTS talk about a song you like

  • How would you answer this IELTS speaking test question about a song you like?
  • How does it make you feel when you listen to your favourite song?
  • How did you discover the song you like?

Read more about the IELTS speaking test.


Popular posts from this blog

Cambridge IELTS 11 Test 1 Writing Task 1 Question and Answer

Task 1 Question How to Answer Task 1 Questions Sample Answer Cambridge 11 Writing Task 1 IELTS Writing Task 1 (Academic) tests your written communication skills - how well you can report/describe information. Cambridge IELTS Book 11 Test 1 Writing Task 1 IELTS Writing Test Task 1 You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. The charts below show the percentage of water used for different purposes in six areas of the world. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant Write at least 150 words. International English Language Testing System How would you answer this IELTS 11 Writing Task 1 question about water used for different purposes? IELTS 11 Writing Test 1, Task 1 Answer (useful vocabulary is highlighted ) The pie charts illustrates water usage in six different regions around the world. Notably , Europe consumes the greatest quantity of water for in

How To Answer Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1

Content Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1 How to give your opinion in English Here are some questions from Cambridge IELTS Practice Tests Book 8 Speaking Test 1. They include the IELTS Cue Card Describe a time when you were asked to give your opinion in a questionnaire . A native English speaker gave these sample answers to show you what someone might say. Remember, you can answer these questions in many different ways. Cambridge IELTS 8 Speaking Test 1 IELTS Speaking Tip Do NOT try to memorize full answers - this is unnatural and IELTS examiners are trained to identify memorized answers. Cambridge IELTS 8 Test 1 Speaking Questions & Answers Part 1 Topic | Neighbours How well do you know the people who live next door to you? I know them quite well because we’ve lived beside each other for a couple of years now. The people who live to the right of me, wel

Computers Speaking Part 1 Questions & Answers

How would you answer these example questions about computers from Part 1 of the IELTS speaking test? What examples would you give? What details would you need to describe? What vocabulary would you need to express yourself well? Tips for IELTS Speaking | IELTS Speaking Part 1 | Computers, computer skills, children and computers, how important are computers? Computer Speaking Part 1 Questions You can use these questions in your IELTS preparation to help you think about what you would say in response to them. Computers Speaking Part 1 Do you often use computers? Yes, I do, very often, in fact every day I use my laptop. I use it for studying, researching, entertainment and also for shopping sometimes. Do you often use a computer? Not very often, I guess I just don't really need one in my day-to-day life. I have a smartphone for email and social media, and I can do most of the things I need to do on my phone. Plus, I like having some time away from screen