Follow these recommendations to improve your level of writing in the English language.
Having good English writing skills allows us to open a wide range of options for study and work. Lacking in this knowledge can make us lose the opportunity to get the job of our dreams. Many non-native English-speaking people face difficulties when writing in English. So, here is a list of 10 tips for those who are in the same situation.
1. Read in EnglishTo achieve a substantial improvement in writing in English, it is key to have a habit of reading, so new publications should be understood as new sources of knowledge and practice opportunities. Through them, you can learn new words, new ways of making sentences, and most importantly: you can find new ideas and ways to write in English.
Through reading, the language will become increasingly familiar, allowing you to even begin to think in English.
The best way to start the habit of English reading is by choosing a non-fiction book. Through familiar topics, it will be easier to try to understand what the author is trying to say. It is important to have the dictionary as a last option. Trying to understand the meaning of the words in relation to the context is important.
2. Listen to native English speakersIf you do not have the habit of speaking daily in English, one of the most useful tips is to watch videos of native English speakers. You will soon learn how to use the language like they do.
3. When you write in English, think in EnglishIt is probably the most complex of the process, but it is important that you learn to think in English. Translation of your thoughts can lead to unclear and unnatural concepts. Put yourself in the place of an English writer throughout the writing process.
4. Practice writing in English as much as you canThe best recipe for learning to write in English is - to write in English! Put into practice everything you have learned. Practicing writing is extremely effective. When you start the habit of writing, make the effort to do it regularly. Be consistent.
5. Trust yourselfThe constant contact with the English language will lead to the learning of words and expressions, which you can then include in your English writing.
At first, ignore how that language came to your mind, and what is its true meaning. With the passage of time, it will be easy to be sure about what is right and what is not. When you write, do the first draft without worrying about grammar, spelling, etc. Organize your ideas - then make a check.
6. Free checking tools for English writingBefore finishing your writing, it is essential to make any corrections of what is written. Check the grammar, typographical errors, and the use of language, and identify sentences that are not convincing. If you can, leave the text, take a rest, and then revise it another time.
Ways to improve your writing in English
There are several tools you can use to help you correct your writing in English. Try using Google spell-checker or Mozilla Firefox spell-checker to review and improve your English writing skills.
With regard to grammar, you can check grammar and readability using Microsoft Word and Grammarly, online or the desktop app, and the Hemingway app which will help you make your writing clearer and easier to understand.
7. Have friends who speak English and can correct your mistakesThe best way to get a vocabulary similar to native English speakers is to have direct contact with them. If you have English speaking friends, take advantage of all the time you can share with them. You will learn informal expressions and jokes, which will sound more natural than those that could be learned from a book.
8. Study grammar and spellingUse grammar books or online writing resources to study certain grammar points you find difficult. Your writing will gradually improve as your knowledge becomes more in-depth. Online, you can find all different writing resources and materials to help develop your writing, in a more dynamic way.
9. Focus on one aspectDo not try to improve all aspects of your writing at the same time. It can be confusing. Instead, focus on trying to improve one aspect at a time; for example, how to use commas correctly and other punctuation. Spend some time practicing until you notice an improvement. Then move on to a new aspect and focus on that for a while. The more focused your writing practice, the better the results will be.
10. RelaxLast but not least, you need to relax. The best advice for people interested in learning to write better in English is to take your time. You need to make a serious effort, and that needs some dedication and time. You will make progress, but the results are not immediate. But with focused practice, your English writing will improve.
Do not forget - perfection does not exist. But you can improve your writing gradually and continue to improve it over time.