IELTS workout of the day (WOD)#5 Today’s topic | The Media1. How many different types of media can you think of in 1 minute?
2. Brainstorm as many verbs or phrases associated with the media as you can in 1 minute.
3. Which is the most popular form of media for news in your country?
- - for adults
- - for young people
4. Prepositions: Here are some sentences related to the media. Each sentence contains a preposition. Decide if the preposition is the correct one or not in each case.
- Many people love commenting in social media pages.
- Satellite TV programs are broadcast all over the world.
- Most national newspapers are published in a daily basis.
- The man read the headlines on the newspaper.
5. Can you think of 5 adjectives commonly used to describe news stories.
6. Identify 5 sections which normally appear in a newspaper, news website or similar publication.
What kind of content would you expect to find in each section? Think of at least one example or a general description of each section.
7. Can you name 10 different types/categories of television program broadcast in your country?
8. The following are words or phrases commonly used when referring to TV or the news. What do they mean?
- - breaking news
- - prime time
- - on air
- - live coverage
9. What are the main differences between a broadsheet and a tabloid newspaper?
10. Social media: Choose two different forms of social media, for example, Facebook and Twitter. Make as many comparative statements as you can in 3 minutes. Try to use a different comparative structure for each statement.
Example: Twitter is not as popular as Facebook.
IELTS WOD #6
Want to learn advanced vocabulary related to media? Download it here