Skip to main content

7 Tips on How to Describe a Time You Were Late for Something


IELTS SPEAKING |Describe a time you were late for something

I was late for an important meeting, and I almost lost my job. Here’s what happened.

A few years ago, I had a big meeting with the CEO of one of the biggest companies in America. It was a big deal, and if it didn’t go well, it could have cost me my job. The problem is that I got stuck in traffic on my way to the office and couldn’t get there on time.

So how did I handle this situation? Check out what I did below.

IELTS Speaking Part 2

Describe the last time you were late for an important appointment.

You should say:

  • When did it happen?
  • What was the appointment for?
  • Why were you late?

and explain the results of being late for that meeting.



IELTS Speaking

Sample Answer - Describe a time you were late

Well, I’m not usually late for appointments; in fact, quite the opposite. I’m usually very punctual and dislike it when people arrive late for appointments. But the last time I was late for something was, I guess, about a month ago.

If I remember correctly, it was a Thursday morning. I was supposed to travel to a meeting with another consultant to discuss a particular project that we were about to start working on.

The meeting was scheduled for 8.30 in the morning, but one of the big problems was - there was a lot of rain that day, and the traffic was terrible.

It was a journey that I had done several times before, so I knew how much time it would take, and I had planned it as I would normally.

But due to the heavy rain and the traffic, it took much longer than normal.

I think some road works and some construction were going on at the time as well, and I ended up being approximately 25 minutes late for the meeting.

It didn’t cause a big problem. The person I was going to see had to rearrange their schedule a little bit. I had to wait approximately 30 minutes - so I had a cup of coffee - read a magazine - and then eventually we did the meeting.

And really, the only kind of negative consequence was that it was a little bit inconvenient for the other person. But not a big problem, and, in the end, we did the meeting - we discussed the things we needed to discuss, and we came up with the plan we wanted.



Different variations of this cue card

All the IELTS cue cards below are based on the same topic/theme: being late or arriving late for something. Practice varying your answer for each situation/event.

  • Describe a time when you were late for an event
  • Talk about a situation when you were late
  • Describe a time when you were late for something
  • Describe a time when you were late for an appointment
  • Describe an important event where you arrived late
  • Describe a special occasion for which you arrived late

IELTS Speaking Tips

Are you ready to ace the IELTS speaking test?

The IELTS is one of the most popular English tests in the world. And it’s not hard to see why. It’s a great way for students, professionals, and anyone who wants to study or work abroad to prove their English language skills.

But what if you could get an extra edge on your competition?

What if there was something to give you more confidence when taking this important test?

Well, there is!

IELTS Speaking Tips

If you want to be successful in IELTS Speaking, learning how to speak English fluently will help.

Here are some top tips:

  1. Improve your vocabulary: Make a list of new words and practice using them in everyday conversation. Learn to use the new words naturally.
  2. Practice speaking on a topic for 2 minutes: it's best to use your own experiences. Find an interesting topic, such as My Dream House or What I Did After Work. Try to speak about it for 2 minutes without stopping. If you struggle, the question is too difficult. Simplify it to something easier.
  3. Be prepared! Prepare answers to common questions beforehand (prepare does NOT = memorize). Practice responding to authentic IELTS speaking questions. The more you practice, the better prepared you will be. Download some speaking questions from the IELTS website and prepare your answers.
  4. Get familiar with the speaking tasks: listen to sample responses.
  5. Record yourself speaking: Record your answer and then listen to it. Analyzing your recording will help you identify your strengths and weaknesses. You can then focus on improving the areas that need work.
  6. Practice with friends or family members: record yourself speaking and have them give you feedback too!
  7. Don't be afraid of making mistakes: If you are not confident enough to speak about a topic, practice until you gain more confidence! Try using an IELTS speaking practice app.

How would you answer this IELTS speaking question about being late for something? What would you do if you were late for an important appointment?